Conyers is Constructing a New City Hall
City of Conyers voters approved a $13 million bond referendum on May 22, 2018 to construct a new city hall on O’Kelly Street to house city administrative offices as well as a new Municipal Court on the site of the existing city hall on Scott Street, along with improvements to the Conyers Police Department. The Conyers bond question was approved 62% of voters.
Below the photographic rendering of the new city hall you'll find a timeline explaining where the idea and need for a new city hall and municipal court in Conyers began.
Timeline of Events Leading to the New City Hall
- Site is cleared and erosion control measures implemented, week of August 19, 2019
- Mayor and Council approve agreement between the city and Reeves Young, LLC for Construction Management at Risk services for the construction of the new Conyers City Hall for a guaranteed maximum price (GMP) of $13,287,747.00 on August 7, 2019
- Groundbreaking on Thursday, July 18 at 10 a.m. for new City Hall at 901 O'Kelly Street
- Ongoing meetings with PPI regarding interior design elements (flooring, paint, tile, surfaces, etc.) in June 2019
- Floorplan approved by city of Conyers staff in March 2019
- Ongoing meetings with PPI regarding design of underground parking garage, floorplans for city hall (November 2018-February 2019)
- Kick-off meeting with city staff, staffs of PPI and Reeves Young on new city hall complex on October 24, 2018
- Mayor and Council approve contracts with Precision Planning Inc. (PPI) to provide architectural and design services and Reeves Young to provide construction manager at risk services for new city hall complex
- RFQs reviewed and bids opened for top three in each category; firms selected
- Request for Qualifications issued for Architectural and Design and Construction Manager at Risk firms for construction of new city hall
- Additional parcels of land purchased adjacent to and near new city hall site location
- Bonds are sold
- City holds series of public meetings for Q&A regarding the bond referendum
- Political action committee Moving Conyers Forward formed by a group of citizens in support of the bond referendum
- Initial city hall design renderings updated and new site location (O’Kelly Street) unveiled
- Conyers Mayor and Council vote to add bond referendum to May 2018 primary ballot
- City contracts with Carl Vinson Institute of Government on 20-Year Strategic Plan which includes short-term and long-term action items related to location, funding, acquisition of additional parcels needed to construct a new City Hall Complex
- No action taken on RFQs due to lack of funding available
- Requests for Qualifications (RFQs) issued for Architectural and Design firms
- City contracts with Croft and Associates for rendering of new City Hall building
- City contracts with Croft and Associates to complete a Needs Assessment of Current Facilities and 20-30 year anticipated growth plan
Where Will the New City Hall be Located?
The new city hall will be constructed on property owned by the city on O'Kelly Street, just behind the Adventure Mountain statue in the O'Kelly Street/Travis Street roundabout, immediately behind the Nancy Guinn Library.